Southwest Vermont League RulesAll Levels:
1. Philosophy is kids first: winning, egos, etc., second
2. No slide tackling.
3. Allowances are made for co-ed teams when a town does not have a girl's team for a particular grade.
4. Shin guards are mandatory.
5. Players can play up one grade level but not down.
6. Size four balls.
7. Teams on one side, spectators on the other.
8. No flip throw-ins.
9. Coaches must carry medical release forms all times.
10. No overtimes; one game per day unless a jamboree.
11. Players should receive roughly equal playing time.
12. United States Soccer Federation rules apply (the same as FIFA) and slightly different than high school (National Federation) rules.
13. Jewelry may not be worn during play.
14. All games are played 7 v 7.
15. Recommended field measurements: 60 - 80 yards long; 40 yards wide; 6 x 18 feet goal; 10 x 24 yard penalty area; 7 yard center circle.
1. Retake illegal throw in one time only
2. No penalty kicks; take direct kick outside the box
3. Goal kicks are taken from the edge of the penalty box, not the goalie area (six yard line); other team should be 10 yards away.
4. Offsides called when team gains obvious advantage; explain rule. If a player is constantly offside, stop play and explain rule; restart with a drop ball.
5. 4 fifteen minute quarters with running time; 7 players a side
6. Substitutions: any time play is stopped. Keeper may be substituted, as would any other player; however referee must be notified and clock is stopped for any uniform change.
Same as above with the following exceptions:
1. No retake on throw-in;
2. 2 30 minute halves; and
3. At least one referee should be certified under an in-house clinic.
Same as fifth grade with these exceptions:
1. Penalty kicks are allowed.